Dr. Hitesh Modi
Doctors / Zydus Hospitals Ahmedabad
Fellowships in Spine Surgery Canada, Hong Kong, South Korea and India (8-years)
Consultant Spine Surgery : Zydus Hospital, Ahmadabad, India
Honorary Spine Surgeon : V.S. Hospital, NHL Medical College, Gujarat Uni., Ellisbridge, Ahmadabad, India
Fellowships / Grants
- July 2010-June 2011: AO Spine North America Clinical Fellowship Toronto Western Hospital, Krembil Neuroscience Centre, Toronto, Canada (Prof. Micheal Fehlings, Dr. Stephen Lewis, Dr. Raja Rampersaud, Dr. Eric Massicotte)
- Jan 2010-June 2010: Honorary Clinical Associate in Spine Surgery Duchess of Kent Children Hospital, University of Hong Kong (Prof. KDK Luk, Prof. KMC Cheung)
- July 2009-Dec 2009: Clinical & Research Fellowship in Endoscopic and Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Wooridul Spine Hospital, Seoul, South Korea (Dr. Gun Choi)
- Feb 2007-July 2009: Clinical & Research Fellowship in Scoliosis Surgery Scoliosis Research Institute, Korea University Guro Hospital, Seoul, South Korea (Prof. Seung Woo Suh)
- Jan 2006: Fellowship Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Chonnam National Uni. Hospital, Gwangju, South Korea (Prof. Jae-Young Chung)
- Nov 2003-April 2006: Fellowship Spine Surgery Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad (Dr. Bharat R. Dave) and Stavya Spine Hospital, Ahemdabad
Awards & Achievements
- 2010, Sept 21-24 : Russell A. Hibb's Award winner- Scoliosis Research Society 2010 45th Annual Meeting, Kyoto, Japan. Basic science category for paper 'Effect of Spinal Shortening on Motor-Evoked Potentials causing Spinal Cord Injury and on Spinal Cord Blood Flow'
- 2008, Oct 16-18 : 52nd Fall Congress of Korean Orthopedic Association; Seoul, Korea. Best paper publication award by KOA for 2008 CORR paper.
- 2008, 4th April : 25th Conference of Korean Society of Spine Surgery, Seoul, South Korea- 'Posterior Multilevel Vertebral Osteotomy for Severe and Rigid Scoliosis- a Preliminary Study'- Paper presentation declared as 'Best Paper'.
- 1994 : Higher Secondary School Certificate Examination (Conducted by Gujarat Secondary Education Board, Gandhinagar) passed with 3rd rank in Gujarat state.
- 1992 : New Secondary School Certificate Examination (Conducted by Gujarat Secondary Education Board, Gandhinagar) passed with 3rd rank in Gujarat state.
- March 2015 onwards- Consultant, Department of Spine Surgery, Zydus Hospital, Ahmedabad
- July 2011- March 2015- Director, IndiaSpineTM Hospital, Memnagar, Ahmedabad
- April 2013- February 2015- Consultant Spine Surgeon, Department of Spine Surgery, Narayana multispeciality Hospital, Rakhiyal, Ahmedabad
- May 2013 onwards- Honorary Spine Surgeon, Department of Orthopedics, VS General Hospital, NHL Medical College, Ahmadabad
- April 2010-March 2011- Clinical Research Professor at Korea University. Associted at Scoliosis Research Institute, Korea University Guro Hospital with Prof. Seung-Woo Suh
- Nov 2004-April 2006: Associate Spine Surgeon 'Stavya' Spine Research Institute and Spine Hospital, Ahmedabad, India (Dr. Bharat R. Dave)
Running outpatient clinic for spine patients, take ward rounds, perform and assist spinal surgeries, and research activities
- May 2006-Jan 2007: Consultant Orthopedic and Spine Surgeon 'Nirmal'Hospitals Pvt. Ltd., Surat, India
Running outpatient clinic for spine and orthopedic patients, take ward rounds, perform spinal and orthopedic surgeries
- June 2006-January 2007: As a Faculty in dept of Physiotherapy of Swaminarayan Physiotherapy college at Surat was responsible for taking Orthopedics classes for students and conducting exams
More than eighty-five (85) publications (including research papers, clinical and basic science researcher well as review articles) published in peer-reviewed well-known international journals done by Dr. Hitesh Modi.
I am still working on few more research articles. (See annexure)
I have presented more than sixty (60) podium presentations in various national and international conferences and workshops as a primary author and co-author.
Fields of Interest and Expertise
Spine surgery- Spinal deformity, minimally invasive spine surgeries, cervical spine surgeries, spinal arthroplasty, Spine research- Spinal cord trauma, spinal shortening research
Publications (more than 85 publications in international & nation journals)
- Analysis of diaphragmatic movement before and after pulmonary rehabilitation using fluoroscopy imaging in patients with COPD. Chun EM, Han SJ, Modi HN. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015 Jan 27;10:193-9.
- Effect of posterior multilevel vertebral osteotomies on coronal and sagittal balance in fused scoliosis deformity caused by previous surgery: preliminary results. Yang JH, Suh SW, Cho WT, Hwang JH, Hong JY, Modi HN. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014 Oct 15;39(22):1840-9. PMID:25299167 [PubMed - in process]
- Multiaxial high-modularity spinopelvic (HMSP) fixation device in neuromuscular scoliosis: a comparative study. Hwang JH, Modi HN, Suh SW, Yang JH, Hong JY. Eur Spine J. 2013 Dec 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Does delaying surgery in immature adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients with progressive curve, lead to addition of fusion levels? Yang JH, Bhandarkar AW, Rathanvelu B, Hwang JH, Hong JY, Modi HN, Suh SW. Eur Spine J. 2014 Jun 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Changes in the spinopelvic parameters of elite weight lifters. Yang JH, Barani R, Bhandarkar AW, Suh SW, Hong JY, Modi HN, Yang JH. Clin J Sport Med. 2014 Jul;24(4):343-50. doi: 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000094.
- Short apical rib resections thoracoplasty compared to conventional thoracoplasty in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis surgery. Yang JH, Bhandarkar AW, Modi HN, Park SY, Cha JM, Hong JY, Suh SW. Eur Spine J. 2014 Apr 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Effects of vertebral column distraction on transcranial electrical stimulation-motor evoked potential and histology of the spinal cord in a porcine model. Yang JH, Suh SW, Modi HN, Ramani ET, Hong JY, Hwang JH, Jung WY. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 May 1;95(9):835-42, S1-2.
- Clinical results of XMR-assisted percutaneous transforaminal endoscopic lumbar discectomy. Choi G, Modi HN*, Prada N, Ahn TJ, Myung SH, Gang MS, Lee SH. J Orthop Surg Res. 2013 May 25;8:14.
- Intraoperative airway obstruction in a Duchenne muscular dystrophy patient. Yang JH, Bhandarkar AW, Lim BG, Modi HN, Suh SW. Eur Spine J. 2013 May;22 Suppl 3:S491-6.
- Analysis of factors that affect shoulder balance after correction surgery in scoliosis: a global analysis of all the curvature types. Hong JY, Suh SW, Modi HN, Yang JH, Park SY. Eur Spine J. 2013 Jun;22(6):1273-85.