Dr. Bhavin Patel
Doctors / Zydus Hospitals Ahmedabad
GI, HPB & Robotic Surgeon
Department of GI Surgery
Zydus Hospitals, Ahmedabad
- MBBS - Govt Medical College, Surat in 1989
- MS (General Surgery) - Govt Medical college, South Gujarat University in 1994
- Fellowship in GI & Hepato Pancreato Biliary Surgery - University of Heidelberg, Germany, in 2004
Years of industry experience:
- Experience of more than 25 years
Senior Consultant & Head - GI, HPB & Robotic Surgeon, Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Zydus Hospitals Ahmedabad (from May 2015 - till date)
- Sr Consultant & Director, Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad. (from 2003 to April 2015)
- Consultant GI, HPB & Laparoscopic Surgeon & Founder of Astha Hospital, Ahmedabad. (from Nov 1998 to Feb 2015)
- Consultant GI & Laparoscopic Surgeon, Lions Hospital, Mehsana. (from April 1995 to Oct1998).
Expertise & Specialities
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Robotic Surgery (Advanced GI )
- HepatoBiliary Cancer & Gallbladder stone surgery
- Surgery for Pancreatic cancer & benign diseases
- Upper GI & Colo-Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Lap & Robotic Hernia Surgery
Dr Bhavin Patel is the Chief of GI, HPB and Robotic surgery at Zydus Hospitals, Ahmedabad. He is one of the top Surgical Gastroenterologists of Ahmedabad Gujarat, and has more than 25 years of experience in the field of Gastro-Intestinal Surgery.
He is a pioneer and leading national expert in the field of minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery. He started performing laparoscopic gallbladder and hernia surgery in 1995, when it was the beginning era for minimally invasive surgery all over the world. He has performed significant series of advanced laparoscopic surgery and presented his work in various national and international conferences.
Having trained in USA and Germany, Dr. Bhavin is a doctor with rich experience in GI, Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic surgery and GI Cancer surgery. He has a special interest in pancreatic surgery and has performed a significant series of Whipple operations and minimally invasive pancreatic resection. He also performed the first Robotic whipple operation in Gujarat.
He started the department of GI surgery at Zydus Hospitals, Ahmedabad and de-veloped a team approach for better patient care. He also started the GI surgery fellowship programme for training and education of young surgeons.
He is a member of many medical societies and has organised IHPBA-India 2022, a prestigious conference on Hepato Pancreato Biliary diseases at Zydus Hospitals, Ahmedabad.
He is a pioneer & expert in Robotic Hernia surgery and his research paper on “First Western Indian experience for Robotic Hernia surgery” was selected at the prestigious SAGES conference in USA.
He is always humble and friendly with his patients & their relatives, and his expertise reflects by smile of thousands of happy patients.
His vision is to develop Centre of excellence for GI, HPB, Minimally invasive surgery and GI Cancer surgery. His mission is to optimise patient care through innovations, education and multidisciplinary team approach. And to be care provider of first choice for patient as well as referring physician.
- Advanced Laparoscopic surgery training in Mount Sinai Hospital, New York in March 2002. During my training I had an opportunity to learn from Prof Berry Salky, the most advanced laparoscopic operations like laparoscopic colectomy, laparoscopic pancreatic resection, lap splenectomy and fundoplication
- Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery Fellowship in the department of Surgery, University of Heidelburg , Germany in 2004 under Prof. Markus Buchler. During this training, I had an opportunity to attend clinical meetings, surgical rounds and assisted a wide range of operation mainly Whipple operation, Pancreatic resection, liver resection as well as liver transplantation
- Hepatobiliary and Liver Transplant training in Beaujon Hospital, Paris, France in 2004 under Prof J. Belghiti. During this training, I assisted wide range of operations mainly major liver resection and liver transplantation
- Observership in the Department of Surgery on the Hepato-biliary Service, Memorial Sloan 'Kettering Cancer Center, New York under Prof William Jarnagin in March 2008. During this training I attended surgical grand rounds, weekly hepatobiliary conference and observe complex hepatobiliary surgeries
- Robotic Surgery training with Prof Herbert Zeh & Prof Melissa Hogg at Department of GI Surgical Oncology, UPMC, Pittsburgh, USA in December 2014. During these training I observe many Robotic whipple operations, pancreatic resections and complex GI surgeries and had Inanimate robot drills skill practice.
Scientific Presentations / Publications
- Speaker - Robotic adjunct to difficult Gallbladder. Symposium- ‘The Evil Gallbladder’, IHPBA India 2022, Ahmedabad
- Encouraging early results of Robotic Inguinal Hernia Repair: First Western Indian Experience. Poster Presentation in SAGES 2022, Denver, USA
- Robotic Giant Ventral Hernia Repair, Video presentation in SAGES 2022, Denver, USA
- Speaker: Pancreatic Cancer symposium, IHPBA India 2015, Ahmedabad
- Laparoscopic Distal Pancreatectomy for Cystic neoplasm of Pancreas - video Presentation in IHPBA India 2014, Mumbai
- 'Consecutive 50 Pancreatico-duodenectomy at low volume center ‘ Poster Presentation in IHPBA India 2014 Mumbai
- Laparoscopic drainage of Caudate lobe liver Abscess- video Presentation in IHPBA-India 2013, Coimbatore
- Laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy for sigmoid diverticulitis ' video presentation in IAGES 2012 ,Ahmedabad
- Laparoscopic trans-gastric pancreatic necrosectomy -video Presentation in Asian-Pacific HPBA ( Hepato Pancreato Biliary association) 3rd Biennial Con-gress 2011, Melbourne, Australia
- Pancreatic Anastomosis technique in Whipple's operation ' video presentation in Hepato-pancreato-Biliary Conference, Bangalore 2008
- Co-Auther: Boerhaave’s Syndrome diagnosed after 36 hours and treated – Case Report”, Journal of Postgraduate Medical Education, Training & Research Vol III, Jan-April 2008.
- Results of pancreaticoduodenectomy - study of 25 cases. scientific paper pre-sented in GSSC 2007
- Video presentation on: laparoscopic management of liver hydatid cyst ' at GSSC 2002
- Video presented on 'Laparoscopic management of CBD Stone ' at Gujarat State Surgeons conference 2002
- Organising Chairman - IHPBA India midterm Conference 2022 at Zydus Hos-pital, Ahmedabad.
- Scientific Committee Co-Chair - IHPBA India 2015, Ahmedabad
- Organising core committee member - IASGCON, 2014, Ahmedabad
- Co-Chair, Workshop Committee - ASICON 2013, Ahmedabad
- Organising Core committee member - IAGES 2012 Ahmedabad
- Scientific Co-Chair - LAPGICON, Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad, 2004
- Organising Secretory - Minimal Access Surgery 2003 in Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad
- Organising Secretary - Laparoscopic Surgery Workshop at Lions hospital, Mehsana in 1998
Medical Societies Memberships:
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association (IHPBA)
- Indian Chepter of Hepato-Pancreato- Biliary Association (IHPBA-India)
- Indian Association of Gastro Intestinal Endosurgeon (IAGES)
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology (IASG)
- Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI)
- Association of Surgeon of India (ASI)
- Gujarat State Surgeons Association
- Indian Medical Association